DIAGNOSTIC TOOLS TO EVALUATE INFERTILITY IN BOTH MALE AND FEMALE
When a couple is not being able to have a child after one year of unprotective intercourse, couple must visit a doctor for evaluation and find the reason behind their infertility. It is not necessary that every time a female factor causes infertility sometime male factor is also a cause of infertility of couple. So, the couple should visit the doctor and doctor should evaluate both male and female. Now we will discuss the common and basic criteria of evaluation.
History taking is very important for infertility evaluation on couple. The couple should give their complete record of their medical history or their any genetic disorder that can affect their fertility. During consultation following actions should be taken.
- A complete medical history regarding the type of infertility (primary or secondary) and its duration.
- Ask female about her previous pregnancies if she ever get pregnant before and complete history about her miscarriages and duration.
- Ask female about her medical issues that can affect fertility. Ask about her regular menstruation cycles. Any diagnostic test she ever done before like USG, X RAYS or any other.
- Ask male about his frequency of intercourse, semen analysis result, history of impotency, decrease in libido, history of testicular trauma.
- Ask the couple about their history of sexually transmitted diseases, surgical contraception, lifestyle, consumption of alcohol or tobacco or any other drug intake history.
A physical examination should be completed if one has not been recently performed by any gynecologist. Note the following
- Complete record of blood pressure, pulse rate, temperature, body mass index, weight
- Carefully evaluate the thyroid gland to exclude gland enlargement and gland nodules
- Carefully examine the clitoris, direction of cervix, vaginal masses and peritoneal tenderness
The urologist usually examines the male partner if the patient’s history of his semen analysis produces abnormal findings. Note the following;
- Testicular size
- Urethral stenosis
- Inguinal hernia
- Presence of vericocele
- Any congenital abnormality
This is a general guidance in evaluating infertility. Now, let’s move on towards the diagnostic tools which are recommended by your doctor for further evaluatation of infertility cause.
Many defects can be detected during pelvic examination. Some laboratory test also takes to make final diagnosis. In females, these include;
- Blood test
To rule out hormonal imbalance
To find out any structural deformity
To fine out any pelvic inflammation, poly cystic ovary, endometrial and myometrial abnormalities, uterine fibroids or any abnormal growth in uterine cavity
The HSG is most frequently used diagnostic tool to evaluate the endometrial cavity. It provides accurate information about
- Endocervical canal
- Diameter and configuration on internal os
- Endometrial cavity
- Uterine/tubal junction
- Diameter, location, and direction of fallopian tubes
- Endometrial biopsy
MALE DIAGNOSTIC TEST
- Semen analysis
- Interpretation of semen analysis
- Sperm function tests
JOAS MEDICAL DIAGNOSTIX, Ikotun Lagos Nigeria, offer comprehensive infertility screening tests for both couples like Transvaginal Scan for uterine and ovarian functions,Ovulation/follicular tracking, HSG to evaluate the fallopian tubes, blood tests for hormone check, semen analysis etc. We also offer a simple assisted reproductive procedure like INTRAUTERINE INSEMINATION [IUI]. For accurate assessment of your fertility situation, contact us at JOAS MEDICAL DIAGNOSTIX, Ikotun Lagos Nigeria.
For FREE Consultation and FREE Counseling. Also for Quality and Accurate Medical Diagnostic Tests Contact JOAS MEDICAL DIAGNOSTIX
JOAS MEDICAL DIAGNOSTIX——-WE ARE AN ULTRAMODERN MEDICAL IMAGING CENTER. WE ARE EXPERTS IN ULTRASOUND SCAN SERVICES, 3D/4D COLOUR DOPPLER SCAN SERVICES, X-RAY/RADIOLOGY SERVICES, ECG SERVICES, INFERTILITY SERVICES, HSG SERVICES, LABORATORY SERVICES,BLOOD BANKING SERVICES , DNA SERVICES, AND HEALTH CONSULTANCY/COUNSELLING SERVICES.
We are located at
JOAS HOUSE, 2, Okesuna Street, Opposite The Synagogue Church Busstop, Bolorunpelu, Ikotun, Lagos Postcode: 100265 Nigeria.
TEL: 08064981455 08032509975 08184590752 08037668535
DISCLAIMER The contents, blogs and postings provided in this site are offered strictly for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal, medical nor financial advice on any matter. We have made every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information presented, and if you have any questions regarding the contents please contact us. The informations provided in this site is subject to change without notice. This site may contain links to other internet sites, we are not responsible for the privacy, practices nor the content of such sites, nor their relationships